Friday, March 12, 2010

Salamanca



Let's learn about where I'm going!

I didn't realize how super close Salamanca was to Portugal, which kind of makes me excited.  My knowledge of all things Portuguese is well, nothing.  I'm curious to see how much their culture and language has had an affect on my city.  
Salamanca is also very close to Madrid, which is AWESOME.  My dad and I went to lunch at Trattoria Centrale today and as we were eating our delicious meals (I'm totally in love with that place), he mentioned that Spain has a good high-speed train system.  Hopefully that'll put me in easy connection to Madrid.
Salamanca is considered one of the most spectacular Renaissance cities in Europe (Yes, I am getting all this info from Wikipedia.  Who wouldn't?) and apparently Christopher Columbus lectured there?  And Hernán Cortés took classes there too?  Holy crap.

The average high is 60 degrees in April.  I can deal with that.  
The classic Salamancan dish is called charreria, a baked casserole made with garbanzo beans.  I like garbanzo beans.  Hornazo also sounds good, which is a pie often eaten after Lent is over.  Cuchifrito is common in Castilla y León (the autonomous community where Salamanca is located), which is a meat dish served with olive oil, rosemary, vinegar, basil, etc.  All good things.

PRIMAVERA SOUND: May 27th-29th
SOMEBODY COME TO SPAIN AND GO WITH ME CAUSE I'M NOT GOING TO KNOW ANYONE.  Please.  This will change.  your.  life.
Check out the line-up:

Good, right?  I'm mainly interested in the 28th and 29th, for Dr. Dog, Yeasayer and Beach House.

That's all for now.  I gotta go to sleep.

buenas noches

No comments:

Post a Comment